Monday, July 27, 2009

some more New York

Our second day of New York starting with a Hop-On Hop-Off Bus Tour. (For anyone going to New York for the first time - I highly recommend it!) It's a great way to see a lot of things in not a lot of time. These pictures are from the Downtown Tour. Mostly buildings. But the buildings there are really neat! I wish buildings here would look more like they do there! I don't know what most of my pictures are of - but thought I'd share some anyways.





This next picture was taken at Ground Zero. They are doing TONS of
construction there- and the whole site is surrounded by a fence a big tarps.
So you pretty much can't see anything. Darn! It is wierd though to
have so many buildings packed together - and then a big
empty space with nothing in it.There was a little spot where you could peek through the fence - this is what was inside.


We were in New York on July 4th - so me and Matt thought we would check out the fireworks. To get a really good view - you needed to go down by the river, and apparently you had to be there by 4 to get a seat - the fireworks didn't start until 9:30. We weren't that interested in doing that all day - so we just decided to walk as far as we could. It was crazy!! It was jam packed with people! I don't think I have ever been so crowded in my life! We only had our tiny camera with us, so the pictures are kinda bad - but you can kindof get the idea.

They launched the fireworks from the river. They had 6 barges that launched 6 identical fireworks shows. And apparently, the whole thing was about a mile long. I think it would have been spectacular - had we been down at the river. We weren't though. So we only got to see the fireworks that were launched from one and a half boats.

Anyways, it was interesting. Nothing too amazing though. If I were in New York again on July 4th - I would definitely pick going to a broadway show over watching the fireworks. But I guess it's fun to say you did it.

2 comments:

Lynn said...

I bet New York's got nothing on Rosemary's Fireworks. LOL! JKS.

That would of been really cool to see.

We have a niece Roseanna from Rosemary, who now lives and works in New York.......I am thinking that we should go visit with her someday after reading these two posts of yours. ; )

The Gibb Family said...

Funny - Roseanna was mentioned a LOT when we were there. It is definitely a fun place to visit - not a place I would ever want to live though.
And you are right - Rosemary fireworks are right up there! :)